It's only Friday afternoon, and weather forecasters are predicting the weekend is going to be scorcher. The fan isn't cutting it anymore and the beach is a long, hot sticky car drive away.
We've got a list of 12 suggested ways to cool off in Commack, close to home:
1. Visit the to sit down and read a good book or check out the latest release from your favorite author. It's got air conditioning and plenty of computers for public use.
2. If you're on the Smithtown side of Commack, visit the. Find a movie to take home and watch over the weekend, or check out what classes are happening this weekend.
3. Let your kids out to run around at the 's , open daily from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. What's better than a playground combined with water sprinklers to beat the heat?
4. Take a short drive to the nearby in Kings Park to take a dip in the Long Island Sound. Make sure to grab a towel and sunscreen.
Now we move on to the ice cream and frozen yogurt tour of Commack:
5. Try to figure out which of the 31 original flavors is your favorite at
6. Enjoy frozen yogurt, including fat-free and sugar-free variations, at
7. in Commack's Northgate Shopping Center scoops up a local treat.
8. If you prefer Italian Ices over ice cream and frozen yogurt, is the place to be.
9. is known for their Fudgie the Whale and flying saucers, offering both traditional and soft-serve ice cream.
10. offers a happy-ending sundae with many of its meals, and larger ones tempt your sweet tooth on its menu.
11. Test out a frozen yogurt shop who opened its doors in Commack last summer.
12. If you are shopping in Mayfair, stop by D`Lites Ice Cream for a cold, sweet treat to ward off summer heat.