Commack residents are being asked to extend a hand, or rather an arm, to donate blood after Hurricane Sandy.
Commack Schools PTA is hosting an emergency bloog drive at Burr Intermediate School on Tuesday, from 10:45 a.m. - 8 p.m. to help local hospitals recover from the impact of Hurricane Sandy.
New York Blood Center is estimated to have lost 12,000 units of blood due to cancellations in blood donations as a result of Hurricane Sandy.
In order to be eligible to donate blood, residents must:
- Bring a ID with a signature or photo
- Have a minimum weight of 110 pounds
- Be between ages 16 - 75. Those under age 18 need parental permission, anyone over age 76 who wishes to donate needs to have a doctor's note.
- Eat well (low fat) and drink fluids.
- No tattoos in the last 12 months.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding the blood drive should call Katie Kunz at 631-858-1147.