It's Columbus Day. The federal holiday celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas in October 1492. In more modern times, it has become a day for Italian Americans to show pride in their heritage.
While government offices and local schools may be closed to recognize the federal holiday, there is still plenty happening in and near Commack.
Here's our list -
- Town of Huntington offices: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Town of Smithtown offices: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Commack Public Schools: Closed in honor of Columbus Day
- Commack Public Library: Open
- Commack branch, Smithtown Special Library District: Closed
- U.S. Post Offices: Closed, will not be delivering mail.
Check out these photos of the Order Sons of Italy's annual Columbus Day parade along Huntington's New York Avenue and Main Street on Sunday.
The Town of Huntington is celebrating the holiday weekend by holding their annual Fall Festival in Heckscher Park on Route 25A through Monday.
Do you have any plans to celebrate Columbus Day? Share them with us in the comments below.