Ride January out in style, and liven up your Monday with some of these local events.
1. : Kids have busy days at school and parents have busy days at work or home. Fortunately, Storytime Stew at the is there to calm everyone down with exciting tales. Reading begins at 4:30 p.m.
2. : Attention, seniors: It's never too late to get in shape. Head to the at 11:15 a.m. for a low-intensity workout designed to improve flexibility and tone your muscles.
3. : The list of activities at Toddler Time at the of the Smithtown Library reads like a wishlist for young kids: stories, crafts, finger plays and songs. If your child finds out they missed something this fun, they won't be happy, so bring them to the library at 11 a.m.
4. : Our own local Applebee's raised $4,859 last year for the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation. And when you factor in all 60 of the locations in the Long Island and Northern and Central New Jersey operated under Doherty Enterprises, the amount is a jaw-dropping $315,000.
5. : Let's be honest: When the final bell rings at school, nobody is excited to go home and study. offers a 45-minute after-school program full of games and activities. Let your kids have some fun and develop their friendships (and don't worry, those textbooks aren't going anywhere). The good times begin at 2:45 p.m.