This Saturday there are some great date night events, including swing dancing at the Brush Barn, or Sushi After Shabbat at Chabad of Mid-Suffolk. During the day, take your kids to art classes, go to a local opera screening, or enjoy a photography exhibit. Know of another event happening in or around Commack? Simply login and post it on the calendar!
1. : Enjoy the After New Year Black Tie Swing Dance at the Brush Barn in Smithtown, hosted by the with live music by Mike Arenella and his Dreamland Orchestra. The dance is from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., with a beginner swing dance lesson at 7:30 p.m., and tickets are $15 per person.
2. : The at Stony Brook University will be showing performances from the Met on the big screen with surround sound, beginning with this week’s performance of Puccini’s La Fanciulla del West. The screening starts at 1 p.m., and tickets are $22 general admission, $20 for senior citizens, and $15 for students and children.
3. : Sign your artistic 5-7 year old up for the Smithtown Township Arts Council’s Level 1 art class: Painting Animals, Plants, and Landscapes! Sessions are from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the in St. James, and take place every Saturday. Children are encouraged to bring a snack. There is a $125 course fee and a $20 materials fee.
4. : Join other adults for sushi, Chinese, martinis, and more at this social dinner at in Commack. Dinner will be from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 pm., and tickets are $25 per person for members, $27 per person for non-members.
5. : Besides taking art classes, one can also come by the for the opening reception of the 32nd Annual Juried Photography Exhibition, featuring juror Joy Goldkind. The reception will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., and is free and open to all.