The holiday season was filled with treats from eggnog, gingerbread, holiday candies and more. It's time to get the New Year started on the right foot, and fulfill your New Year's Eve resolution of losing weight or getting in better shape.
Here's a list of 9 local gyms and fitness centers to help get you started:
* Intelligent Fitness is one option available for those looking for a more direct path to fitness and nutrition. Clients work one-on-one with trainers to reach their goals.
* LA Boxing offers a unique workout experience in a high-intensity setting. With their boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts regimen, they've got something to offer everyone.
* If you are a woman who is looking for a new fitness routine but can be intimidated by men, Lucille Roberts has everything they need. This women-only club offers an extensive class schedule including Zumba and Pilates.
* New York Sports Club on Jericho Turnpike offers a variety of equipment and classes that fitness lovers can enjoy year-round.
*If you know someone looking to step up their training or are new to the fitness world, a few sessions at Personal Training Institute might be just what they need. The center offers one-on-one personal training and nutrition coaching for all ages and levels.
* If someone needs calm and relaxation in their workouts, YogaFlex on Commack Road is the place to go. Guests power through a series of stretches and classic yoga poses in a 105-degree heated studio.
* Fit 4 Teens Workout is a fitness center that caters specifically to teens, and focuses on both nutrition and training.
*You don't need anything special, aren't looking for an alternative workout, and are happy to just be at the gym -- if that describes you, than visit Bodyworks Fitness on Parkway Drive South in Hauppauge. This gym is opens in the wee hours of the morning perfect for that pre-work workout for the businessman or woman.
* LA Fitness has plans to open a new gym in the King Kullen Shopping center off Veterans Memorial Highway, the former location of Borders. The Commack location will be opening shortly.
If you don't want to spend the money to join a gym or fitness center, head outdoors and take a look around. There are numerous hiking trails through Hoyt Farm Nature Preserve and Caleb Smith State Park.