.

Ann Romney & The American Mother: Mom Talk

Does the presidential hopeful's wife represent modern America?

It was pretty mild as far as political blunders go. After having read the entire transcript, I thought the statement was awkward but not offensive. Of course, had I been Ann Romney, I may feel differently.

Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen took a big swat at Ann Romney. Despite Ann's well-bankrolled lifestyle, she has five sons. So unless she had a battalion of nannies and staff, the woman must have worked very hard being a mom.

There is no doubt that Rosen was wrong and stuck her foot in her mouth when she said Romney never worked a day in her life. The next sentences of Rosen's statement softened the blow.

Rosen was making the point that Romney hasn't ever had an employer, she has never had to fight for wage equality, she has never had to worry about feeding her kids. In those regards, Romney does not represent the typical woman in the workplace.

Tuesday was Equal Pay Day. Rosen's right: the Romneys don't get it. 
According to the National Women's Law Center, white women are earning a mere 77 cents to the white male's dollar. Our Latina sisters are getting hit the hardest with a pathetic 54 cents, and African-American women are at 62 cents.

When you clear away all the mudslinging, finger pointing and backlash, the facts are the same. Women are still taking it on the knuckles when it comes to trying to put food on our tables.

Having been a career woman turned stay-at-home mom, I moved my desk from the 44th floor to my kitchen table. Unlike either Rosen or Romney, I am in a great position to weigh in on this issue.

Motherhood is by far the hardest work. It is also the most rewarding. Rosen, yes, you need a time out for your statement. And Romney, you just settle your britches down, too. Your error was just as bad. You should have turned the spotlight where it needs to be: on the women who are working just as hard as The Man and earning only two-thirds.

Instead of all the childlike fighting at recess, we need to put on our big-girl pantyhose and keep our eyes on the ball. Or in this case, maybe it's not a ball. We need to keep our eyes on the doll.

Joana Fernandez April 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
kelly, logical and brilliant comment. Glad you are a democrat. (i figured i would have to mimic your parrotism)
Candide08 April 18, 2012 at 01:03 PM
How many other stay-at-home moms had $200 Million as a cushion?
Hope Faitherson April 18, 2012 at 01:57 PM
When we will we reach the point that women respect each other? We are on the same team. We have let a male dominated political machine rehash a 20 year old argument. Now we are fighting amongst ourselves again instead of defending each other's choices. It is a fact that some women get paid less because they choose to leave the workforce for a time to raise a family. This gives them less years in the workforce to build experience and rise up the pay scale. So some of these statistics are skewed . . . it should be women who never left the workforce vs. men who never left the workforce. In skewing them, it pits working women against stay-at-home mothers. Both of whom made the best decision for themselves. What it does however is get GREAT ratings and sell newspapers.
Brad Drake April 18, 2012 at 04:17 PM
It just amazes me how the media jumps on these types of stories instead of focusing on the real issues that our country is facing going into an election. The fact of the matter is that there are very, very few politicians who are in tune with the average American. 47% of Congressmen and Congresswomen are millionaires. The other 53% are earning at least $174,000 a year. The average American earns $26,364 a year. So please tell me one person in Congress that can truly relate with the average American on those grounds? None. We all need to take our party blinders off, unite, and start working together to fix a broken system. Obviously our current elected officials cannot do that. Let's stop fighting amongst each other over stupid, unimportant statements like the one that inspired this opinion commentary.
popfuture April 18, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Kelly, Why can't Romney feel empathy for women less fortunate than her? Don't you also want to help those less fortunate than yourself?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »