School may be the last thing on your children's minds at the moment, but we've got a few ways you can slowly start preparing them for the upcoming school year.
1. Some buildings in the district may have new school hours, so check with your school's main office for any changes. Maybe even have your child practice waking up at the right time for the start of school each day?
2. Teachers and individual schools in Commack have posted their supply lists for their incoming classes; you'll find some printable lists on the school district's website under Backpack News.
3. The Commack community has a handful of nearby places that sell school supplies, including, , on Veterans Highway, Henry Street, , and local supermarkets.
4. Help your kids learn a lesson in kindness before school even starts. There are children in the community whose families need help providing them with new school supplies for this year. and are both collecting school supplies for the needy.
5. Tackle another summer reading pick – or a few more, if your child is really ambitious. Check out Commack's summer reading lists posted on the district's website, and check out sources of inspiration for even more books.
6. Does your child struggle with homework, leading to fights? Did you know the Commack Public Library offers live homework help and skill building via Suffolk County's Live-brary program.
7. Keep in mind if your child needs help with papers and research projects this upcoming school year, Commack Public Library offers a Homework Alert in which librarians have pre-selected materials relating to the assignment to help your student succeed.
8. Does your child hope play on a junior varisity or varsity team? Check the district's Athletics page for the first day and time of tryouts.
9. At Smith Haven Mall, a handful of stores have already started back-to-school sales. For instance, jeans are on sale at Abercrombie and at Tilly's; backpacks are on sale at Gap Kids; school uniform items are on sale at The Children's Place; and shoes are on sale at Journeys Kidz. Check with your favorite stores for details.