Defective Fan Set Off Fire Alarm at Commack School

An overheated motor from a heating fan led fire alarms to go off at Burr Intermediate School.

Burr Intermediate School. File photo.
Burr Intermediate School. File photo.

Students at Burr Intermediate School in Commack were evacuated from the building Thursday after a fire alarm went off unexpectedly due to a defective fan belt, Principal Rhonda Pratt said in a notice to commuty members.

The alarm sounded at approximately 1:20 p.m. after a fan within the building's rooftop heating unit malfunctioned. Pratt said that the rubber belt started to smoke as the motor overheated, causing the alarms to go off.

She said that students and staff were immediately evacuated the building and the Commack Fire Department quickly responded. 

"I commend the staff, students and fire department for their quick response and attention to our building safety drill procedures," she said.

Students and staff were able to re-enter the building at 1:50 p.m.

CommackMom January 17, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Misleading headline. It's not really a 'drill' if the alarm was triggered by smoke.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »